Many of us are familiar with the media hype about early January being a time when Family Lawyers experience a sudden influx of new enquiries.
Theories put forward by the press include:-
- Couples who have been forced to spend more family time together over the festive period have reached “breaking point”.
- Couples who may have decided to divorce in advance of the Christmas period have held things together for the sake of their children.
- Over-spending, causing significant financial strain.
In my experience, there is never really a right time to make the difficult decision of ending a relationship. However, there is often a strong feeling that the New Year signifies a fresh start and this is one of the reasons why people may take the step to obtain legal advice.
It is important to understand that taking that first step does not necessarily lead to divorce proceedings being commenced. The distress of a relationship breakdown cannot be underestimated, particularly where children are involved.
Before you commit to anything, we at AWB Charlesworth offer a face-to-face meeting with one of our solicitors for a fixed fee of £100.00. At your first meeting, we shall:-
- Ask you to explain the issues.
- Establish what you wish to achieve.
- Explain your options and the likely procedure.
- Give an estimate of your likely costs.
- Agree with you as to how you wish to proceed.
Typically your first meeting will last 1-2 hours, after which you will have a full understanding of your options and the likely costs of achieving a resolution.
If you wish to arrange a meeting, please contact a member of our Family Team at one of our four offices in Skipton, Keighley, Bradford or Bingley. Contact details can be found on our home page.